Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Amanda Bingson: Love Yourself

I'm a bigger girl. Always have been. In high school, I was also an All-State athlete. I threw the shot put in track, was undefeated in districts and conference, and went to the state meet every year. 

Numerous times I was called fat. I pretended it didn't bother me. I pretended to shake it off. But really it cut me to the core. Even my doctor told me I needed to lose weight. He never considered the amount of muscle I had. He only cared about the number on the scale. 

Well, the scale was full of shit. 

I lifted weights. 

I ran.

I worked my ass off to become a better athlete so I could get a scholarship and go to college. 

And I did. 

But I was still fat. At least according to most of the people I knew.

I still struggle with body image to this day. As an adult, I've accepted the things I cannot change. My inner child, however, has not.

Today, I heard about US Track & Field hammer thrower Amanda Bingson. I wish someone like her would've been around when I was a teen. She's an inspiration for all of us.

Amanda is 5'5" and 210 lbs. And she's an amazing athlete. She holds the American record in the hammer throw, an event that's only been in the Olympics for women since the 2000 Sydney Games. The first World Record for women was recorded in 1994. The hammer throw is a relatively new event for women.

Here's the best thing, Amanda's fine with her body type. She embraces herself. In this day and age of photoshop and celebrity overkill, Amanda Bingson is someone we all should get to know.

We definitely should follow her lead. We are who we are. Embrace your body. Love it. Don't try to change who you are. Amanda is a role model. There should be more like her in the world.

Every girl should read the latest issue of ESPN, if only to read Amanda's story. 


No comments:

Post a Comment